“Help! My Humidor Won’t Keep Its Humidity!” If you’re facing this problem, you’re not alone! Here at Mike’s, I constantly get calls and emails from customers asking how the hell they can get their humidor to maintain its humidity. They tell me no matter what they do they are unable to keep it maintained between the 75% to 65% range, let alone the ideal 70% humidity!
Sometimes they find out their gauge is just not working properly because their cigars feel great but their gauge has read the same percentage for some time. Often times the most common problem I find is that smokers didn’t season their humidor. I’m also told that the person who sold the humidor didn’t tell the customer they were supposed to season the humidor.
The usual follow-up question is: “Do I just use salt and pepper or do I need some other spices?” They are often shocked when I tell them all they need is some distilled water and a clean unscented cloth. I go into detail explaining the process as follows:
How to Maintain Humidity in Your Humidor
1. Take distilled water and slowly pour it into the humidifier
2. Take your cloth and dip it in the distilled water. Once damp, wipe down the inlay of the humidor (you don’t need to soak the cloth there only needs to be a slight change in the wood color.)
3. Make sure no water is settling in the bottom of the humidor (if so sop it up with a dry cloth or paper towel)
6. Check your hydrometer to see if the humidity is at the desired percentage. Check to make sure no water is settling if so sop it up. Water and cigars don’t mix!
7. Finally, if the humidor is at the desired humidity and no water has pooled, place your cigars inside the humidor and you’re all set!
8. If you have not reached the desired humidity repeat steps 2-5
9. In addition, if you’re close to reaching 70% humidity and need an extra push, throw a couple of water pillows in.
In any event leaving your humidor open for extended periods of time is one of the most common mistakes we all make. It’s often a buddy who comes over and wants to stare at your prized collection for too long. Nonetheless let them know they need to make it quick!
In conclusion, be sure to keep a watchful eye on your humidor and gauge. The key to keeping your cigars at the optimal smoking stage is proper quality control. To ensure the long life of your cigars, always remember to check your humidity levels. It’s also important to regularly feel your cigars to make sure they’re firm yet slightly spongy for the best smoking experience!
If you have any questions, concerns, or even tips of your own comment below!
Mike’s Cigars offers the absolute best and biggest selection of cigars, humidors, lighters, ashtrays, cutters, and smoking accessories. If you're looking for the lowest prices on premium cigars online with fast shipping, Mike's has something for everyone!